Thursday 28 February 2008

Dear Anna Franca, Dani and Paola,

I have tried twice to respond in the blog to your comments, but unfortunately, I am "scaduta" and cannot seem to log on again! But, I did want to comment and hope that since I do not have Paola's email handy, one of you will send it on.

Having now taught 'solo' and side-by-side teachers here in Italy for several years in a number of different settings, I would like to comment on the blogging response. I wonder if it has to do with teacher's attitudes toward their students, level of teacher training and also, comfort level with writing in English. Just some thoughts. I so admire people such as yourselves who have committed to being bilingual and who can express yourselves so eloquently. Certainly, I think my own chances in doing so in Italian are slim at this ripe age of 58 (notice I omitted OLD!). But, the point is that we have to look at the English language teaching community itself and imagine how such an important group of people are not regularly attending teacher-training programs and are not required to join professional organizations such as TESOL-Italy. Frankly, all I hear about is how many hours they have to do, the drag of teaching, etc., etc., etc. But, wouldn't one think that if they gave up the teaching approach that bores them and their students and usually has minimal effect on the class at large, then all would be joined in a more mutually enjoyable and rewarding teaching/learning exchange? Until there is better teacher preparation, until there is a movement toward learning in English and not superficially about English, until English becomes a way to 'express' the inner lives of each individual, I don't feel that much movement in terms of interacting professionally and bringing about significant change over a large area of the population is going to work for quite some time.

I want to share a recent experience I had this week. I teach with 4 teachers doing 'lettore' at a well-reputed classical high school here in Venice. The students are engaged in "Fast Track' and a literature books, Voices and Views. Now, all classes are mixed levels, nobody really knows at what levels the kids read because this is never considered. Two classes, quite out of control with the regular classroom teacher, have now come into some semblance of participating in the hours that I have them. The teacher asked me to do . . Dickens. What could I do? For three weeks I have brought in new materials I took from the 'net and even graphically (sometimes using a few colorful words, I admit!) described London, had them imagine Venice in the same conditions, then we looked at a timeline of Dickens' life and tried to evaluate emotional, traumatic, normal experiences (he was a VERY troubled person), we talked about social reform, etc. But, at the end of the day, we had to do the piece from David Copperfield. Imagine their delight. . .I finally closed the book and announced in the hours I had left with them, I was not going to subject them or myself to such a didactic teaching text. .something suitable for an AP course in America or England perhaps. Now, I choose from my own materials to teach them to develop their independent thinking, reading and pronunciation skills in English. . those mispronunciations can be a source of potential errors! In two weeks, we will start a small project (I'm still working on the shape of it!) based on the film 'Freedom Writers." Next week, we will start a piece on communication about the work with animals in the sign language programs in the U.S. Why? to get them to think about acquisition, what it serves and how it shapes out lives particularly when we learn a new language which then can transport us into a new realm of experience and thinking. .and no, we do not learn culture by watching exchanges about "couch potatoes" in our latest version of . .well, you know what I am saying. I hope before the hours are up, we can read a chapter froom Stones in the Water, a book based upon a real life experience of a Italian-American who as a child in Venice was abducted with his friend when they went to Mestre. All in English. . . . By the way, a student told me that the teacher announced to them that the reason I was not doing Dickens was because I was American and since I spoke a 'different' version of English from BRITISH ENGLISH, I was not really able to read Dickens to them and so therefore, chose not to do it. Hmm. .my first degree in English was with an emphasis on British lit! This kind of narrow-mindedness prevails everywhere. . everyone too busy, too whatever to really figure out what they are doing in their classrooms (or not). So, for me, it has been a distinct pleasure. Keep pressing for change and keep haranguing those people to BLOG.

And, let's hope people realize that they can spend two weeks in America in English just as well as in England!!

Love to you all,
Nan

PS. Hi, everybody...I've just cut and pasted here Nancy's text: she sent it to me by e-mail as it seems she can't post it herself for some technical problems. I'm just a sort of 'go-between'... Yet, I do believe there are some interesting topics for discussion within Nancy's text, eg, British English vs American English in a world where we all have to cope with 'Englishes'....
Do we still have prejudices of this kind as regards English - while we have a great number of students - Italian, native Italian speakers - who gets to University entry texts and miserably fail..'cause, after more than ten years of compulsory educational curriculum still result unable to decently use their own native language...?
Luv :-)))
Dani

4 comments:

Antonietta M.D.P. said...

Dear Nancy,
you seem not to have a positive view of Italian English teachers and of the way English is taught at school today. I can share most of your ideas when you interprete the absence of interactivity in this CoP as the consequence of not feeling comfortable when writing in English, but I have to add that most Italian teachers at the moment have to face a heavier amount of foolish overwork among papers to fill and remedial afternoon courses with students who come to school more tired everyday and with less energy.
I also think that the reason why our colleagues are completely absent from this blog is due to the fact they are requested to do things which are real tasks,not simply to give personal opinions on teaching topics and practicises.
You need time to fulfill tasks and everybody knows how shorter we are getting of it lately.
I find this blog very interesting but also very demanding, so I think some may feel uneasy.

Anyway I am here with you all , accepting the challenge.

Yours,
Antonietta

Nancy Rose Steinbock said...

Dear Antonietta,

I appreciate your position . .as an independent professional I must work between 50-60 hours per week to support myself and my family as a single mother. I still think that the problems are related to a system which does not necessarily support excellence in teaching and excellence in materials to aid teachers in providing stimulating and meaningful lessons through English. I wonder how much of all of the 'recuperi' follow this. There is no doubt that education and the work for educators is challenging and not well paid. This is true all over. However, many of my invested colleagues here (all Italian) comment as well on the lack of teacher/student motivation and the negativity which is present in many classrooms. And, we can choose to enter education or not. Many jobs require a lot of work outside of the regular work hours. Education is one of them and it should be something that we see as also being a learning experience for ourselves that we can then transfer to our classrooms.

I appreciate the effort that all of us are making here and in our classrooms. As a 'foreigner' I am not attempting to make a negative comment about the culture, but realistically facing the issues with my energetic, intelligent Italian colleagues.

Nancy

Daniela Millini said...

I think Nancy didn't actually mean to be critizing...just lookink at our 'school world' from a different point of view.
I do agree with what you say about the 'foolish paper overwork' we are asked to carry out - and I'd add on to it all the time we literally waste in Collegi Docenti talking about very little,listening to each other the least and sharing nothing actually useful and effective for our teaching practices.
We don't have time - and are somewhat obliged to waste a lot of time, aren't we?
What about some Collegi Docenti devoted to exchange and discuss 'personal opinions on teaching topics and practices', every now 'n then?
What about effective curriculum designing - with all teachers involved knowing the difference between aim, objective, competence...?
I do understand your point of view.
Yet, I'm not sure that simply 'fulfilling the tasks we are asked to' might still be the way to do it.
Don't know, actually.
I just don't like being a mere 'performer' and this always gets me into a number of different 'troubles', thus I wouldn't advise anyone to follow 'my way'.

Sunny side up girls!
No reason to make each other uneasy. JUST SHARING DIFFERENT WAYS!
:-)))
Dani

Nancy Rose Steinbock said...

Dear Dani,
Thanks for elucidating the issues so artfully! In fact, I appreciate your position as well as swimming against the tide. But, unless we do it and motivate our students to seek change and demand more effective teaching practices, the system will remain in place through inertia. Keep up your excellent work. It will be carried by your students throughout their lives and passed on to their children. Maybe if we realized this about great teaching, i.e., it is genetically transmitted later, we would feel more optimistic and confident about what we are trying to do!

Onward and upward.
Nan